Thursday, December 1, 2011

by faith.

Somehow I've seemed to have zero time to write any blogs in way too long...if that even makes sense. But, what better time than when I should be writing a paper that's due in 5 hours for a final in my last semester of college? No time like the present, right? That's what I thought.

My heart was so heavy this morning. After I woke up, in my typical routine, I grabbed my phone and pulled up Twitter (no one make fun) to catch up on anything good I may have missed over night...you know, just to check and see if any other Kardashians are pregnant, make sure that the NBA is still un-locked-out, etc. While scrolling through my timeline, I see a friend's tweet that said, "HE who promised is FAITHFUL."

Ever have one of those moments that you feel like someone says something to a million people, but it could have been just for you? That was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I've heard and said it countless times that God is faithful, but for some reason, this morning it resonated in a whole new way.

After seeing that I just started praying that I would hold onto the promises of God and that I would trust him to keep them. I know it seems like such an elementary prayer, but maybe that's what we need sometimes, a childlike faith...to trust that God is going to do what he has promised, without question.

After I forced myself out of my warm covers and downstairs for some coffee, I opened up my Bible to get in the word and the page I opened to, the first verse I laid eyes on was this: "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for HE who promised is FAITHFUL." [Hebrews 10:23] Not to mention, the "title" for the passage is, "A Call to Persevere" -- something I need right now, perseverance...believing that he who began a good work in me will never leave me and will bring it to fruition.

I kept reading and went on into chapter 11, By Faith. This chapter of the Bible has to be one of the most inspiring and challenging sections of scripture for me. By faith, Abel. By faith, Enoch. By faith, Noah. By faith, Abraham. By faith, Isaac and Jacob. By faith, Joseph. By faith, Moses. By faith, the Red Sea was parted. By faith, the walls of Jericho fell. By faith, Rahab. By faith, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, the prophets. By faith, all of these people became incredibly useful for the sake of Christ and the kingdom of God...when I die, will it be known that by faith, I lived? By faith, Jordan...did what?

Do I regard disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of this world because I'm looking ahead to my reward?

Look up the lives of these people; they weren't perfect, by any means. They all had their failures. But, they all made themselves available to be used by God in extraordinary ways. All of these people accomplished incredible feats for the kingdom, through faith. It goes on to say in verse 38, "...the world was not worthy of them." Through faith, are we living lives that the world is not worthy of? Are we coming together as a force for good for the cause of Christ? Are we living by and acting in faith?

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

I hope that this can come as some encouragement to anyone who reads this, as these passages of scripture have been for me. God is faithful. He is good. And his love is great.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." - Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment