Sunday, May 16, 2010

Father, let my heart be after you.

It's no secret that I'm a sucker for a good love story. I fall for them every time--no matter how unrealistic they may be. A few of my favorites include:

Derek Shepard and Meredith Grey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Swo1anaCE

"Love is blind." -Shakespeare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl290nNiJLk

Nathan and Haley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqNWQCKlu0

Just some of my favorites I've found over time...but somehow, none of these love stories I've found or people I've loved--none of these love stories outweigh the love I've found in my Creator. They are passionate and flawed, like my love for Him. The difference is, my love isn't returned by an imperfect human. It is returned by a flawless, unwavering, constant Savior. This love is unlike any other. It is unchanging. It is beautiful, strong, unconditional, personal, intimate. How one being could love so many other beings in ways that are personal and specific to each one is so far over my head, I could never grasp it. But I fully accept it. The best description I've found of this indescribable love comes from a song written about eight years ago...

"He is jealous for me. Loves like a hurricane. I am a tree. Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy. When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory. And I realize just how beautiful You are and how great your affections are for me. We are His portion and He is our prize. Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes. If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking. And Heaven meets Earth like a sloppy, wet kiss and my heart turns violently inside of my chest. I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about, how He loves us."
(John Mark McMillan)

He is jealous for me. For me? Yes. And for you. He is jealous for and wants us. We are His portion. Is He your prize?

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God!"
1 John 3:1

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful, beautiful, inspiring and so much more. Your words are both touching and encouraging. I really love all three of the videos posted, but I think that you're going to have to update it after you watch this video tonight!

    ReplyDelete