Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a little less unlost, a little more found.

Well, if you read my "unlost wanderer" post, I'm pleased to share with you that I'm a little less "unlost." Not that the finding didn't come with trials and pain, but it brings with it knowledge and wisdom.

"A man who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm."
--Proverbs 13:20

Searching for answers often comes with looking in the wrong places, finding the answer is something we don't want to know, failure (that, at some point, often leads to success in some realm or another), sometimes looking in the same wrong place more than once (Isn't there a saying about that? "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Thanks for that one, Mom. Maybe I'm a little crazy? Only kidding.), or finding that you knew the answer all along. There's plenty of other things that come with searching...these are just a few I've encountered recently.

I've found that there are some people that are in your life only for a season. That season may be short or it may be lengthy. It may be that they are there to show you something, to help you grow into the person God is molding you to be. Or, they may be there, so that you can touch their life in some way. But for those seasonal relationships, at some point, you must let go. You must realize that their place in your life is finished...and while it meant a great deal while it existed, it is now over. Letting go might not be what you had in mind, but I've found that if you let go when it's time, it leaves a better taste in your mouth for the person left behind. A bridge a little less burned. A heart needing a little less mending. A person needing a little less replacement of what used to be.

Letting go at the opportune moment may hurt somewhat, but it leaves less damage in the long run. It allows each of you to continue on your life journey to where you are supposed to be, without the turning back and retracing steps. Yes, it can cause pain. But the severing of most things do...relationships, limbs, addictions, etc...for a period of time. But then it's over, and you can appreciate what was. You can see the purpose of their season. This is the healing. And it almost always comes. It is the natural process that follows pain and injury.

I am in the process of letting go. But through the pain, I'm starting to see that those left behind served their purpose in my life well. I hope I was able to do the same for them. The pain is worth what comes with the healing.

"In my time I've seen some things
People come and people go
I've seen the colors autumn brings
And how winter rain turns into snow
But this I know for sure
Though seasons change I must endure
For you promised you'll be there
When season change

The fire of my soul
Though this house with time grows old
Will remain as long as I can feel you
Abiding in me
It's good to know
That you still care
For you promised you'll be there
When seasons change"

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I just found your blog! I like what you're writing...keep it up. You're GOOD! You have a unique way of sharing your heart that draws your reader in.

    It was great running into you the other day.

    ReplyDelete